Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Blue Spirit mask



I decide to do a mask for Louaye few weeks ago, it was intended for his halloween costume :) . The reference is from the TV serie Avatar the Last Airbender (see last pic). The base is a basic white cardboard mask that I transformed to this. I think it still could be better but that's my first one!
 <--- here's quick step-by-step gif!
 J'ai decide faire ce masque il y a quelques semaines pour un costume d'Halloween pour Louaye. L'idee vient de la serie tele animee Avatar. J'ai commencer avec un masque en carton basique que j'ai transforme pour arrive a ca. Il y aurait encore de choses a retoucher mais c'est mon premier avec cette technique, les prochains seront meilleurs!
 <--- petit gif anime sur 'comment c'est fait'

3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I really love the mask, it looks awesome! My friend is planning on doing a Blue Spirit cosplay next year, but we have no idea how to go about making the mask. So, I was wondering if you could explain to me how you made your mask and what materials you used? It would be a great help!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! For this mask I used a basic plastic mask (that you can find for example at Michaels) then I cut the mouth and eyes to the correct shape and add cardboard pieces to create the shape (with kind of tacky glue)
    Then I covered the entire mask of paper-mache technique (see in google) to solidify and smooth the mask.
    For this version I used dry-clay to create the volumes (eyebrows etc) which is really easy to use but doesn't give very strong-sharp shape (you may have to use a cutter to sharpen edges)
    then, lacquer and paints (spray for the blue, and with a white acrylic paint for the whites, with a brush) .
    Now my problem is that the mask looked good for month but the dry clay has a tendency to deteriorate and shrink with the time (6month to a year) . So for that, I d like to find another non-cooked clay for the next one (still looking..)
    You could also look for Pepakura files but I haven't seen one.. it's also a way more complex and expensive technique

    ReplyDelete